History

The Indian Fibre Society (IFS) is a body of professionals consisting of about 250 scientists and technocrats as life members. It has also seven institutional members. The society has been registered under the society’s Registration act 1860 and Bombay Charitable Trust Act 1950.

IFS was formed in May, 1995 at CIRCOT, Mumbai by a group of 16 scientists and technical officers working in CIRCOT under the leadership of the then Director Dr. S.N. Pandey. The Society’s major activity immediately after its formation was to organize a two-day National seminar on “Future Trends in Textiles” on 19th and 20th July, 1995 in collaboration with CIRCOT, Mumbai at the LeelaKeminski-a five star hotel. In the process, IFS has opened as Eastern zone unit with its zonal head quarter at the Central Research Institute for Jute and Allied Fibres (CRIJAF), Barrackpore. In its twenty plus years of existence, IFS has organized a large number of seminars, conferences, workshops, brain storming sessions, etc. In due course, many persons from different R&D organisations, educational institutions, industry etc., joined the society increasing its membership to the present day number of about 250.

IFS has conducted many international conferences, national conferences, seminars, workshops on varied topics relevant to the textile industry. The society organizes regular lectures by eminent personalities for the benefit of its members. In addition, IFS is publishing quarterly Newsletter which contains information relevant to the textile industry particularly in India. IFS is now planning to upgrade the Newsletter into a referred journal devoted to all the textile fibres, including production and processing.